We are sure you are aware of the much anticipated JobKeeper stimulus, which was announced by the government recently. However, up until now there has not been a great amount of detail on exactly how this will work and what the application process will look like.
The government has now finally released details on this and the process for those businesses that have employees. It consists of a number of steps to enrol for and then administer JobKeeper:
Enrol for the JobKeeper payment from 20 April
(enrolments close at the end of April to claim for April payments)
- Step 1 – Ensure that your business is an Eligible Employer (for most businesses the key eligible criteria is that your turnover has dropped by 30%)
- Step 2 – Check you and your employees meet all other eligibility requirements.
- Step 3 – Continue to pay at least $1,500 to each eligible employee per JobKeeper fortnight (the first JobKeeper fortnight is the period from 30 March to 12 April).
- Step 4 – Notify your eligible employees that you are intending to claim the JobKeeper payment on their behalf and check they aren’t claiming JobKeeper payment through another employer or have nominated through another business.
- Step 5 – Send the JobKeeper employee nomination notice to your nominated employees to complete and return to you by the end of April if you plan to claim JobKeeper payment for April. Keep it on file and provide a copy to us.
- Step 6 – From 20 April 2020, you or your bookkeeper can enrol with the ATO for the JobKeeper payment using the Business Portal and authenticate with myGovID (we can assist you if required). You must do this by the end of April to claim JobKeeper payments for April.
- Step 7 – In the online form, provide your bank details and indicate if you are claiming an entitlement based on business participation, for example if you are a sole trader.
- Step 8 – Specify the estimated number of employees who will be eligible for the first JobKeeper fortnight (30 March – 12 April) and the second JobKeeper fortnight (13 April – 26 April).
Confirmation of eligible employees you will claim JobKeeper Payment For
(available from 4 May 2020 onward)
You, your bookkeeper (BAS agent) or we can apply for the JobKeeper payment for your eligible employees:
- Step 1 – Apply to claim the JobKeeper payment by logging in to the ATO Business PortalExternal Link
- Step 2 – Ensure you have paid each eligible employee a minimum of $1,500 per JobKeeper fortnight before tax.
- Step 3 – Identify your eligible employees in the application form by
- selecting employee details that are prefilled from your STP pay reports if you report payroll information through an STP enabled payroll solution, or
- manually entering employee details in ATO online services or the Business Portal if you do not use an STP enabled payroll solution, or
- using our services and we will submit a report on your behalf through our Online services for agents.
- Step 4 – Submit the confirmation of your eligible employees online and wait for the confirmation screen.
- Step 5 – Notify your eligible employees you have nominated them.
- Step 6 – The ATO will pay you the JobKeeper payment for all eligible employees after receiving your application.
- Step 7 – Each month, you will need to reconfirm that your reported eligible employees have not changed through ATO online services, the Business Portal or via our services. This will ensure you will continue to receive the JobKeeper payments from the ATO. You do not need to retest your reported fall in turnover, but you will need to provide some information as to your current and projected turnover. This will be done in your monthly JobKeeper Declaration report.
- Step 8 – If your eligible employees change or leave your employment, you will need to notify the ATO through your monthly JobKeeper Declaration report.
If you use the ATO Business Portal, you will need a myGovID linked to your ABN in Relationship Authorisation Manager (RAM). You can find out how to set this up at ato.gov.au/mygovid.
Should you require any further information or assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.