Can I Claim Travel Expenses For My Rental Property?

There have been some changes to the ability to claim travel expenses and there seems to be some confusion as to what can be claimed.  The law was changed as of 1 July 2017 and the travel deductions now differ for residential and commercial properties.

Travel expenses relating to inspecting, maintaining, or collecting rent for a residential rental property cannot be claimed as deductions by investors. The travel expenditure is also not recognised in the cost base of the property for CGT purposes.

However, if you own commercial property these expenses for inspecting, maintaining, or collecting rent will be deductible. Remember you need to keep your receipts and a log book or other record if claiming cents per kilometre.

Share On:

Other News